The Trinity Lutheran Church served the local community not only in religious ways but also actively helped preserve the German-Russian culture through traditional practices & use of the German language.
German-Russian settlers began settling the area near the Trinity Lutheran Church around 1872. Soon they founded the town of Leipzig & in 1898 residents began holding Lutheran Church services in their homes.
By 1902 Henry Bellman & the local residents were able to start the construction of the Trinity Lutheran Church at a section corner about two miles southwest of town.
The congregation held the dedication in 1905.
Shortly after the addition of the steeple & bells to the front of the church in 1909, the people of Leipzig found out that a railroad was to be built eleven miles to the southwest.
Around 1910 the townspeople of Leipzig began moving to the newly established town of New Leipzig near the railroad line.
Despite the now nine mile distance to the Trinity Church the German-Russian community chose to keep the new church where it was & travel the distance each Sunday for worship.
In 1942 an addition to the front of the church for an altar & storage area was built. A partial basement was dug below the addition & a furnace installed.
In 1959 the church & furniture were sold along with the parsonage which was moved to Flasher, North Dakota, where it still stands today.
In 1961 several interested former members of the Trinity Lutheran Church purchased it and the land around it as a memorial landmark renaming it "Trinity Heupel Church".
In 1969 family & friends gave donations from their hearts to re-shingle the roof & in 1970 the outside of the church was painted.
In 1984 shingles and windows were repaired & the outside of the church was painted as well as the inside in 1985.
In 1997 the outside of the church needed to be repainted again because of the constant peeling. It was decided to apply vinyl siding to eliminate the continuous painting & labor cost. The material & the labor were donated for the project.
In 1998 the steeple & bell tower were painted & repaired by a contractor as well as the inside of the church.
In 2005 the roof was again re-shingled, this time using asphalt shingles because of the high cost of wooden shingles.
In 2006 the windows & doors of the church were repaired and painted.
In 2008 the interior of the church was painted again, the broken sidewalk by the front steps was removed & replaced with cement pads, the decayed tree stump was removed, & a section of the sidewalk was repositioned on the east side of the church.
In September of 2009 the church was officially listed in the National Register for Historic Places, the nation's official list of cultural resources deemed worthy of preservation.
The church is now used for weddings, family reunions, committal services for funerals, & an annual potluck meal in the church yard with services conducted in English & German.
Travelers have come from all over the United States, Canada, & Germany to look at the photographs and plaques and to sign the guestbook.
For further information, Luella Baesler or Shirley Roehl may be contacted.
CLICK HERE to view more historical photographs of the church, the pastors, and its parishioners and families as well as the photographs & video of the Annual Thanksgiving dinner & service of 2011.