By 1910, Northern Pacific & the Chicago, Milwaukee, & St.
Paul Railroad companies had built two railroad lines westward from Mandan, ND
& McLaughlin, SD, respectively. In May, 1910, a town site was plotted by the
Milwaukee Land Company of Chicago. The German-Russian residents of nearby
Leipzig, wanting a location closer to the railroad, soon relocated there. When a
post office was established on the site, the budding community was dubbed New
Leipzig. In January, 1912, however, New Leipzig was renamed Lawther after a
local landowner. After much protest by local residents wanting to preserve the
name of their homeland, the town was once again officially New Leipzig, ND.
Hertz Brothers Hardware is believed to be the oldest firm still doing business
in Grant County. It was organized in Leipzig as the Farmers Commerce Company by
Hertz Brother stockholders Christ, Henry, & Emmanuel Hertz as well as other
minor stockholders. The enterprise moved to New Leipzig around the time of its
inception & became Hertz Brothers Hardware in 1912. Today, the business is
under a third generation of management. Roehl Trucking is also a
third-generation business, & Stelter Repair is under its fourth generation of
management. Main Street today is almost entirely made of farm-related service
businesses. Businesses currently servicing the area include Tietz Hardware,
Larry's Service Center, Stern Motors, Randy's Sales & Service, Stelter Repair,
Roehl Transfer Inc., Schock Real Estate, B & L Lounge, The Leipziger Cafe, Star Grocery, Hertz
Brother's Inc., the U.S. Postal Service, New Leipzig Grain, & Dakota Community
The community's spiritual needs are provided by the New Leipzig Churches—St.
John's Catholic, Immanuel Lutheran, New Leipzig Baptist, & the Reformed
Church—as well as several rural churches. Both the New Leipzig Baptist &
Immanuel Lutheran will celebrate their 100th Anniversary in 2010.
New Leipzig has provided its educational needs with a school since the town's
beginning. Classes were first held in rooms furnished by various local
businesses until 1912, when the first school house was built. In February, 1915,
the structure was leveled by fire. In 1915, a brick fire-proof structure was
erected. Additions were made to the original brick structure in 1926, 1957, &
1961 due to the annexation of the surrounding school districts. Educational
needs were provided within New Leipzig until the co-op process began with Elgin
in the 1994–95 school year. Throughout subsequent years, more grades became
involved. The New Leipzig School closed in the fall of 2004, after which students
have been attending lower elementary & high school in nearby Elgin - junior
high students are bussed to Carson. The New Leipzig school facility is now used
by the community only during Oktoberfest weekend.
Throughout its years, the community of New Leipzig has met the needs of its
people. The New Leipzig Development Association organized in 1966, providing
housing for elderly & low-income residents in the form of 18 one & 2 bedroom apartments, which are usually fully occupied with a waiting list.
In 1971, New Leipzig was home to North Dakota's first authentic German
Oktoberfest, a three-day festival that has grown through the years with the
continued support & efforts of rural & city New Leipzig residents.
Oktoberfest has become New Leipzig's primary identity for German heritage & a
time for thanks at the close of the harvest season. Since 1978, a particular
highlight of the weekend has become the Oktoberfest musical, performed by
residents from in & around New Leipzig.
New Leipzig, like all rural communities, continues to strive to become a true
“home” for its residents & to provide as many services as possible.
Unfortunately, many rural areas like New Leipzig, after giving the youth a solid
moral upbringing & a well-balanced education, they leave for college and
The people of New Leipzig have realized that there are boom periods of growth in
local business that eventually decay, eventually leaving a community of retired
people, still providing service to those people remaining. The state-wide
decline in population sees the closing of many businesses & schools, as it has
in New Leipzig.
Above all odds, however, the local community must fight on.
The Original Town Site Marker
The original town site called "Leipzig" was located eleven miles
northeast of the present site of New Leipzig. This marker is located on the site
of "Old Leipzig".
This inland town without a railroad began to be settled by
immigrants in 1895. It was moved & renamed "New Leipzig" in 1910 when the
Northern Pacific Railroad was built through this area.
Most of the settlers who moved to the new site were
German-Russians, thus the name "Leipzig" after Leipzig, Germany, was used.
A bronze plaque now marks the original site of Leipzig, North
Dakota. The plaque reads, "Original town site of Leipzig, North Dakota was
located on these four corners". The plaque was erected in 1960 by the New
Leipzig Commercial Club during the town's 50th anniversary.
to read an article written by G.A. Ruana in 1925
Below you will find a rare opportunity to
get a copy of the New Leipzig, North Dakota 50th Anniversary
(1960) Historical Book for FREE!
CLICK Image To Enlarge
New Leipzig, North Dakota 50th Anniversary Book
to download the Acrobat PDF file to view or print out!
Keep in mind this file is very large (84MB)
& will take some time to download!
CLICK the logo above if you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader program
to view our PDF files!